Please read the following post at your own risk.
I can almost guarantee that it contains an absolute hape of sarcasm, exaggeration, sh*te-talk and some unintentional insults…. Well, kind of unintentional….
So, let me set the scene for you… It’s 3.27am on a Friday morning. I’m wide awake in bed with a dressing gown and hot water bottle, typing away in the pitch dark while listening to Michael Bublé’s song ‘Lost’ on YouTube….
Yes lads, it’s official. I’m f*ckin’ pathetic.
So, anyways. It has been well over two months since I’ve written anything and all I can say is even though a lot happened during that time; inspiration was at 0% so I hung up my aul’ writing cap for a while. (Just a figure of speech though. I don’t actually wear a cap when I write.)
*Note to self*: Buy cap.
So, in order to avoid boring the absolute hole off everyone, instead of writing paragraphs upon paragraphs about the past few months, I’m just going to do out a short time-line of events in chronological order… YAY!
Note: Other bits and bobs happened during these months but they’re kind of boring and long stories so I’ll just stick to the main points.
Right, let’s roll…
2nd of Sept ’17: I competed in my 2nd IPF competition in ABS Dublin.
3rd of Sept ’17: I packed up my sh*t to move to the South of France.
3rd of Sept ’17: Only like 3 people know about this because I was completely scatthered and mortified but sure I may as well just spill the beans now…
I may have missed my flight to France. (And to those of you who know me well… YES, YES, I KNOW I’M LATE TO EVERYTHING!) Anyway, I stayed in Dublin for one more night in the hope that I’d be let on the full flight the next day….
4th of Sept ’17: Got to the airport 7 hours early this time and made it to France. True story.
Sept ’17: Worked as an Au-pair and a barmaid and met some fantastic people in the pub I was working in.
Early Oct ’17: Still in France, getting fat due to eating pasta like there was a famine announced and not having time to pi*s never-mind go to the gym.
Late Oct ’17: Miserable, still getting fat, missing everybody at home, still wasn’t training, working all day everyday and still poor as f*ck.
Nov ’17: Finally grew a pair of temporary ‘cajones’ in order to tell the people I worked for that I was miserable and that I was leaving… No sooner said than done and I was out the gap…
and no, I didn’t miss my flight back to Ireland…
Nov ’17: I went back to work in the job I had before I left and I went back powerlifting and training for my next competition. Absolutely delighted to be back.
Dec ’17: I got a second job as a ‘childcare practitioner’ in a playschool in Athlone and I absolutely love it. (Yes, don’t worry, I promise I’m qualified to be around children.)
10th of Dec ’17: I competed in my 3rd IPF competition in City Gym in Limerick. We had a grand day out and it was a great aul’ day for the parish.
Mid Dec ’17: Christmas was approaching fast and my usual ‘HOLY JAYSIS I HAVE NOTHING BOUGHT’ anxiety started to kick in.
Christmas Eve ’17: For the safety of others, I made a promise to myself that I would never, ever, ever set foot in a shopping centre during a holiday season again…. Animals. They were like animals I tell ya.
Current Day: It is now 4.39am, I’m 580 words into this blog and I’m wondering why it has taken me over an hour to write this much… I suppose you can’t rush perfection.
(I know. I laughed too…)
Give or take a few ups and downs, that’s about the size of it now lads.
Fair enough, France didn’t work out for me for reasons that I didn’t really include above, but for my mental and physical health, it was time for me to come home.
Before I left Ireland to move to France, a very good friend of mine told me that for reasons that I might never know, I had to make the move and experience something different whether it was going to work out or not. I knew if I didn’t, I’d always regret it. She was dead right. I appreciate what I have at home now more than I ever did because I know how it felt not to have it for a while.
I also met some people there who I hope to know for the rest of my days and you can’t put a value on that. I also re-kindled my love for white wine while I was there, so there ya go… silver-lining!
So, it’s going to be 2018 in a couple of days and there’s one thing I want to do before I finish up here. (Yes, I’m nearly done.) I want to just name a few things I’m thankful for in 2017, because although personally it was quite a difficult year, I have many, many things that I am very grateful for. I know nobody asked to hear these, but I don’t give a sh*te, I’m going to tell ye anyways…
Right… On to the soppy sh*t:
Things I’m grateful for in 2017:
- Yes, it’s my family. Duh. I love them. Simple as that… and I may not always get to see them all very often, but I always know they’re there and that they love me, because well, they don’t really have a choice in the matter…
- My 2 dogs. If you know me, you’ll know that they are my world.
- My health. Well, when I say that now I mean I think I’m generally healthy, but I feel as though if I ran a mile in the shape I’m in right now, I’d probably die. No joke.
- Friends. I can honestly say that I would have been a very, very lost soul this year without the support of friends. Without going into the deets, just recently, someone who I met this year really screwed me over and it hurt me big-time. At the time I was up in a heap about it, but I snapped out of it fairly lively after I had the sense talked back into me by getting some genuine advice, being able to have a good aul’ rant about it and having the occasional shoulder to cry on! As clichéd and all as it sounds, tough times really do show you who is a genuine friend. I will never be able to thank them enough, but all I can say is that they have made my life a whole lot better since they’ve come into it. (Bloody hell, I am gone fierce sentimental in me auld age….)
- I don’t really know what to call this one but I just want to say that I’m grateful for the different positive changes and opportunities that 2017 brought me. Whether it be the jobs I’ve gotten or the moves I’ve made, it all brought along a lot of great people too, so looking back on the year, there were a lot of pros!
- This website and blog! I love writing and it gives me a great feeling when I hear that someone has enjoyed reading one of my posts, so thank you to anyone who has had the patience to read my annoyingly long blogs and I hope you continue to do so in 2018!
I know I have definitely left out some bullet points there but it’s now 5.35am and I’m starting to feel the burn of the laptop screen on my eyeballs… A sure sign that it’s time to wrap this shizz up I think.
I might write a new years resolution post in the next few days so…
…watch this space —->[________]
Until then… Have a fantastic end of 2017 and an even better beginning of 2018 folks.
….Wellll this is awkward… I wanted to write a really witty and clever closing paragraph to finish this off, but I’m actually knackered here and I’m just not able to come up with anything good right now…
I suppose I’ll just say bye so…